discourse xFor the benefit of His devotees, the Lord gives in this discourse a glimpse of His divine manifestations.
The Lord Said:
1. Yet once more, O Mahabahu, here My supreme word, which I will utter to thee, gratified one, for thy benefit.
यत्तेऽहंप्रीयमाणायवक्ष्यामिहितकाम्यया || 1||
2. Neither the gods nor the great seers know My origin; for I am, every way, the origin of them both.
न मेविदु: सुरगणा: प्रभवं न महर्षय: |
अहमादिर्हिदेवानांमहर्षीणां च सर्वश: || 2||
3. He who knows Me, the great lord of the worlds, as birth less and without beginning, he among mortals, undeluded, is released from sins.
योमामजमनादिं च वेत्तिलोकमहेश्वरम् |
असम्मूढ: स मर्त्येषुसर्वपापै: प्रमुच्यते || 3||
4. Discernment, knowledge, freedom from delusion, long suffering, truth, selfrestraint, inward calm, pleasure, pain, birth, death, fear and fearlessness;
बुद्धिर्ज्ञानमसम्मोह: क्षमासत्यंदम: शम: |
सुखंदु:खंभवोऽभावोभयंचाभयमेव च || 4||
भवन्तिभावाभूतानांमत्तएवपृथग्विधा: || 5||
5. Non-violence, even-mindedness, contentment, austerity, beneficence, good and ill fame, all these various attributes of creatures proceed verily from Me.
6. The seven great seers, the ancient four, and the Manus too were born of Me and of My mind, and of them were born all the creatures in the world.
महर्षय: सप्तपूर्वेचत्वारोमनवस्तथा |
मद्भावामानसाजातायेषांलोकइमा: प्रजा: || 6||
7. He who knows in truth My immanence and My yoga becomes gifted with unshakable yoga; of this there is no doubt.
एतांविभूतिंयोगं च ममयोवेत्तितत्वत: |
सोऽविकम्पेनयोगेनयुज्यतेनात्रसंशय: || 7||
8. I am the source of all, all proceeds from me; knowing this, the wise worship Me with hearts full of devotion.
अहंसर्वस्यप्रभवोमत्त: सर्वंप्रवर्तते |
इतिमत्वाभजन्तेमांबुधाभावसमन्विता: || 8||
9. With me in their thoughts, their whole soul devoted to Me, teaching one another, with me ever on their lips, they live in contentment and joy.
मच्चित्तामद्गतप्राणाबोधयन्त: परस्परम् |
कथयन्तश्चमांनित्यंतुष्यन्ति च रमन्ति च || 9||
19. Yea, I will unfold to thee, O Kurushreshtha, My divine manifestations, the chiefest only; for there is no limit to their extent.
प्राधान्यत: कुरुश्रेष्ठनास्त्यन्तोविस्तरस्यमे ||19||
20. I am the atman, O Gudakesha, seated in the heart of every being; I am the beginning, the middle and the end of all beings.
अहमादिश्चमध्यं च भूतानामन्तएव च || 20||
36. Of deceivers I am the dice-play; of the splendid the splendour; I am victory, I am resolution, I am the goodness of the good.
जयोऽस्मिव्यवसायोऽस्मिसत्वंसत्ववतामहम् || 36||
The ‘dice-play of deceivers’ need not alarm one. For the good and evil nature of things in not the matter in question, it is the directing and immanent power of God that is being described. Let the deceivers also know that they are under God’s rule and judgment and put away their pride and deceit.
42. But why needest thou to learn this at great length, O Arjuna? With, but a part of Myself, I stand upholding this universe.
विष्टभ्याहमिदंकृत्स्नमेकांशेनस्थितोजगत् || 42||
Thus ends the tenth discourse, entitled ‘Vibhuti Yoga’ in the converse of Lord Krishna and Arjuna, on the science of Yoga, as part of the knowledge of Brahman, in the Upanishad called the Bhagavad Gita.